March Favourites

Sunday, April 12, 2015



Alas, another month has gone and passed, with only memories left in its place. Favourites of the month being one of the most memorable ones (hopefully). Totally not being biased or whatever, but March is definitely my favourite month. Oh, and my birthday was in March too! What are the odds…

Don't know if you can expect a favourites every month, but something was beckoning in me to share my luvs from this month so much that I had to shorten my list big time.


Beauty

Benefit They're Real! Mascara

Pros:
  • Much drama, so wow
  • Seriously though, volume and length on point
  • Holds a curl better than any non-waterproof mascara I've tried
  • The not-waterproof-ness makes makeup removal a breeze, but it doesn't give you raccoon eyes during day wear
Cons:
  • Curl falls a tad throughout the day (but I have stick straight eyelashes, and not even waterproof can keep it curled)
  • Wand may or may not stab you in the eye and ruin your makeup with tears and mascara
  • Hella expensive for the full size (and travel size)

In my Primping With The Stars Review, I gave the notion that I wasn't the biggest fan of this mascara, but since running low on all my other mascaras (and putting off buying a new one because #broke), I started using the They're Real mascara on a daily basis. Every time I used it, I started to love it even more. Now I'm scared I will soon have to face the ugly truth of purchasing the full size.


Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint


Pros:

  • Instant and even staining (picture above is after rubbing off the product with tissue, after less than two minutes of application. You can also see my attempt in removing swatches off my wrist with makeup wipes in the picture below of eyeshadow swatches)
  • Hydrating like a lip balm
  • Goldilocks opacity: Sheer, but not to sheer that it's barely there, but not BAM colour either.
  • IT DOESN'T IRRITATE MY LIPS! Well, way less than other stuff anyway.
Cons:
  • The colour (Charmed) is not my everyday cup of tea. Might be nice for summer though.
  • Hella expensive, again.

I got a full size LipSurgence in this month's BoxyCharm, and I couldn't be happier to have received this and 4 other products for $21-ish (stupid exchange rate). The colour's a bit bright for my liking (a bit more peachy than the lip swatch above), but I love the formula so much that I still end up wearing it when I can, even if it's just around the house. I'm totally gonna bring this out during the summertime, but for now I'm on a serious hunt as to how to get another one of these at a cheaper price.


Wet N' Wild ColorIcon Palette - Drinking A Glass Of Shine (Natural Side)



Pros:
  • Pig. Men. Ted. LOL THOSE ARE ACTUALLY LEGIT WORDS OOPS. I mean pigmented.
  • Supa inexpensive, yo.
  • Matte, warm-toned, everyday colours.
  • The crease colour is a really nice warm brown that apparently pulls a purple-mauve when it's on my eyes (Agnes' thoughts, not mine) and I'm totally fine with that.
  • I just like the colours okay.
Cons:
  • Crease colour can be a bit patchy if there's too much loaded on the brush
  • Not all shadows are matte (I thiiiink they're supposed to be)
  • Limited Edition, which isn't a con for me, but it is if you wanted to get it.
I found this palette for $4.99 USD (I have to put 'USD' now, such a shame) on All Cosmetics Wholesale, and I was so happy to find since it has long been off the shelves of the drugstore, but according to my research it's an all matte palette, which is totally my style since matte and I are actually a thing, like we're practically married. It's a shame that some shadows aren't matte like I expected, though I'm not too bothered because the natural shades are matte, and that's what's important. I suggest you get your mouse to that website soon, before they run out of stalk.


Fashion

Navy Blue Gap Sweater


I got this sweater a few Christmases back but put it away in an emergency pack (in case of earthquakes and the likes) and never wore it until once this summer (when it became an unexpectedly windy day), then I permanently brought it out in February. It's thick enough to keep me warm during the transition month called March, and it's a quick zip-up that you can throw on with everything. The style is so classic and laid-back, and it's also uber warm and cozy, how can you refuse to wear this everyday?


Airwalk Black Slip-Ons

So yes, before these shoes I wore ugly brown thrift store loafers that I had to buy for a costume, but I ended up loving how comfortable it is and started wearing it in public. I loved how easy it was to put on my beloved loafers when I couldn't be bothered with how I looked (aka most of the time), and I was actually going to feature it in my February Favourites if I ended up making a video for it because I loved it so much. These Airwalks give me all the loafer goodness without compromising my high school rep and my friends' high school rep (since the phrase "oh my gosh Millie, you're so embarrassing!" and it's derivatives came up a lot while I brought the loafers out. But then again, I'm always called embarrassing.)



Food & Drinks

Earl Grey Tea

I seem to always have some kind of common cold 9/10 times in the year, and this month was no exception. I'm not much of a tea person, but I live in tea when I'm sick, since it soothes my throat and it doesn't taste disgusting like everything else when your system is filled with phlegm. I've ventured out of my mango flavoured tea comfort zone this month and drank Earl Grey a lot more when I wanted something a bit sweeter. I drink my Earl Grey with milk and sugar, just like how my bud Katie had it when I had a sip of hers the first time I tried Earl Grey a few months back.


Cookie Dough


My family ordered some tubs of cookie dough from my friend Stephen, who was doing fundraising for his school. I requested a tub of old fashioned chocolate chip cookie dough, and though it's just about reaching the halfway point of its lifetime, not once did I actually scoop the stuff onto a pan to bake cookies. I just scoop a couple spoonfuls into a small bowl and eat it like ice cream once or twice (or three times) a day, and that's honestly how my life was complete. But I'm so sorry for your loss if your stomach has a sensitivity to the raw stuff.



Music

Demi Lovato: Don't Forget/Here We Go Again Albums

This is a big #throwback to '08 and '09 for me, as these were literally my life as a kid. Being a Demi fan as a kid during her Disney days, these albums were the highlight of my music taste, as I loved jamming to these songs so much, I brought it into my teens. I prefer these two albums over her other ones, as my taste in music is more pop-rock, heavy instrumentals with the occasional ballad than R&B and hip hop. My favourites from the two albums are 'Get Back' and 'La La Land' from Don't Forget (Literally my favourites as a nine-year old), and 'Here We Go Again', 'Every Time You Lie' and 'Catch Me' from Here We Go Again.


Shawn Mendes: 'Stitches', 'Never Be Alone', 'Kid In Love', 'Show You'


I'm kinda cheating on this one because I started really listening to these songs for the past couple of weeks (maybe even less; heck, Kid In Love came out on April 5th) but his songs are literally my definition of Feel Good Music. His style is a really nice mix of pop and ballad, which is totally my thing, and the tunes still manage to get stuck in my head even though they're a bit more mellow. I've been listening to these three songs on literal repeat, and tunes like these make me feel like myself.


Paramore: Self Titled Album

Speaking of feeling like myself, over the couple of years I started getting into the more rock music genre, I started exploring more alternative, "grunge" (I hate that word to describe things I like omg...), music, and started getting into Lorde - type music (yes, Lorde is officially a genre for a lack of better terms). As I was going through some really rough "internal struggles" (euphemism), I found that listening to this darker genre of music (including Paramore) made me feel very anxious and made my chest tighten. The base and fast beats get to me, and the mood of the music made me feel like I was gonna be paralyzed, so I decided to drop this genre of music, and get back into bubble-gum pop, guilty pleasure-worthy music; stuff that has a feel good tune and doesn't really have deeper moods. 

This was six months ago, and after being obsessed with stuff like Taylor Swift's 1989, I thought I'd add Paramore back into the playlist. Since their self-titled album has a strong pop influence, it doesn't make me anxious to listen to it when mixed in with other pop music. My favourites from the album are 'Ain't It Fun', 'Fast In My Car', '(One Of Those) Crazy Girls' (love the lyrics of this song, very Blank Space-esk in my opinion), and 'Proof'.

Moments & Memories

Kairos YES Retreat 2015


I had the amazing opportunity to fly to Michigan with my church group for a weekend youth retreat.  Though unfortunately I had a lot of health issues (an earache and a fever), combined with having some social anxiety and homesickness, I really feel like I developed a deeper relationship with God. You don't even know how much I end up talking to Him in my head throughout my day; talking through problems or worries that I have, and fangirling over the little blessings He's given me, I truly feel like I have a best friend who's always there for me to talk to. I feel like I have more trust in Him and I have way more confidence to speak about my faith in public. I wrote about my experience here in lieu of a public sharing to my church community, so be sure to check it out if you're interested!


My 16th Birthday





Oh my my my... I didn't think I'd have an eventful 16th, since during my preceding birthdays I settled for a general outing with a couple friends, and then some cake with my family and family friends. On the week of my birthday, I was feeling real sociable and planned two last minute get-togethers with two groups of friends on top of my birthday dinner with my family. Thank you to all my friends for making my birthday a very special one <3

My father also surprised me with a ring from Tiffany & Co. as a present from my parents! A whole lot of sentimental "you're growing up and you're gonna date boys" stuff were lovingly said by my father, and I couldn't have asked for a better birthday gift! Thank you momma and papa bear <3




So that was a very, very lengthy favourites! Can you tell that March is my favourite month? 



noun.
1. mother of C&L, and Peri the guinea pig
2. an art and makeup junkie with way too many things
3. a self-proclaimed donut lover

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All ideas, pictures, written work and opinions are all original contents of this blog unless specified and/or credited. Please let me know if you will be using any original content from this blog, and do let me know if I've published something that is yours. I'm just a normal gals and don't want to cause any havoc or complications, so if you have any questions or concerns please email me: millievalencia@gmail.com