DIY Rose Lights

Thursday, August 22, 2013



Christmas lights all year around seems to becoming quite a trend in teenage girl's bedrooms lately. Many use them to embellish headboards, boarder door frames and use icicle lights above windows to mimic a starry night. If you're lucky, you'll have white coloured Christmas lights, which will match any bedroom colour scheme. But if you're like me and got stuck with Christmas tree lights (you know, the dark green ones you wrap around the tree) and have a colour scheme no where near green, you'll really need to think outside the box on creative ways to use the lights to match the theme of your room.

The way I originally arranged my lights was like a web going across from one wall to the other in a narrow corner where I place some of my artwork. It looked really out of place, especially during the daytime, and when the Christmas lights weren't on. I still kept it however, because when the room was dark at night, and the lights were plugged in, it looked like floating stars, and I thought it looked cool. But obviously I still hated how it looks either way, because it was just a web of green cord in a pink and purple room. Thats until I realized the dark green made it resemble a vine, and flowers could be added onto it...

STEP BY STEP DIY ROSE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS:
*I really do apologize in advanced for the horrid quality of most of the photos. I only had my phone to take the pictures, and the lighting in my room was very uneven*

SUPPLIES:

One or two pencils, tissue paper of your choice (to use for the petals. I used two colours, but you can also just use one), scotch tape, scissors, safety pin or toothpick (or anything with similar shape), glue.



STEP 1:

Cut out your petals from the tissue paper. You can freehand it like I did or use these stencils as a reference: Inner Petals Outer Petals (Stencils via http://www.favecrafts.com/Valentines-Day/Crepe-Paper-Rose-Bouquet  I used this DIY as a reference when I was experimenting for this DIY. Do go check it out)

Honestly, you can probably make this DIY without the outer petals, but I have never tried. They are quite hard to work with, and a lot of tweaking is needed to make it look proper.



STEP 2:

Using the safety pin, curl the ends of the petals by rubbing your index and thumb together to roll it in. For the outer petals, curl both bumps in (see provided reference link above). This takes awhile to get used to, but keep trying! You'll get the hang of it eventually! A helpful tip is to do all your petals now before you use the glue; sticky fingers is your enemy when it comes to this step.


The petals should look something like this:


STEP 3:

Wrap a piece of scotch tape around the pencil, sticky side out. For me, the circumference of a pencil is similar to the circumference of my Christmas lights. If this isn't your case, you can use something else aside from a pencil.


STEP 4:

Start applying the inner petals to the scotch tape. From this step on, it's really open-ended. There's no proper way to arrange the petals, just place them where they look best. Use the glue to secure the petals in once the scotch tape is covered. 


STEP 5:

Once you are happy with your inner petals, start glueing in your outer petals. This might take some time, and many adjustments will have to be made in order for the petals to be to your liking. Do whatever it takes, and experiment loads.


I cut some petals in the shape of a heart to have two distinct petals:


STEP 6:

Once you are happy with your rose, slide it off the pencil. Trim the bottom to have a clean edge.


STEP 7:

Use scotch tape to secure the rose on the light.


STEP 8:

Add some plastic leaves to add onto the vine look.


AND YOUR DONE! This helped my lights blend in to the theme and colour of my room. This project does take some time (it takes me around 20-40 minutes to finish one rose), so I suggest to do a few at a time, then go back to it every few days. I haven't finished all my lights yet, so I can't show you a picture of the finished look. But here's an Instagram photo I took a few weeks ago of the very first completed rose I did:


Please do tell me if you tried doing this DIY as well as any questions or suggestions in the comment section at the end of this post! I did create the majority of this DIY (not including the bits from the link I provided), so if you do like this idea, please share it with your fellow DIY lovers :)

noun.
1. mother of C&L, and Peri the guinea pig
2. an art and makeup junkie with way too many things
3. a self-proclaimed donut lover

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All ideas, pictures, written work and opinions are all original contents of this blog unless specified and/or credited. Please let me know if you will be using any original content from this blog, and do let me know if I've published something that is yours. I'm just a normal gals and don't want to cause any havoc or complications, so if you have any questions or concerns please email me: millievalencia@gmail.com