Hyperhidrosis

Wednesday, October 16, 2013


Everyone has that one insecurity that just tops all insecurities in their life. It may seem stupid to others, but to them it's their main worry in their life. My insecurity is Hyperhidrosis.

Before you all go "ermegerd it has 'sis' at the end that means its this big disease" relax, it's not even considered a disease. You can't die if you have it, it isn't contagious, and it doesn't affect your health in any way. In fact, the term Hyperhidrosis sounds way too scientific and fancy for what it really is. I mean it's just excessive sweat, no biggy.

Hyperhidrosis (abreviated as HH) is when someone sweats more than a normal person. Hyperhidrose = hyper + hidrôs (sweat); that's all it is. And I don't mean when you sweat after a workout or when you're nervous. I mean even when it's -8°c and snowing. There are generally two classifications of HH, and one of them is focal HH, which occurs on specific parts of the body (face, hands, underarms, etc) and generally does not exceed an area of 100cm². Genetics play a role, as many with focal HH has another family member that's affected. My dad has focal HH, so I do too.

Having HH is the hardest for me to cope with among all my insecurities because there's really nothing I can do to get rid of it. I do this thing called iontophoresis, where I put my hands in metal pans filled with water, and attach the metal pans to a battery which send a mild electric current through my hands, minimizing the sweat, but it's definitely temporary. HH is one of the main things that makes me shy and awkward, and I try to avoid the times I would have to meet someone new, because of course, we would have to shake hands. Countless times I've been told something along the lines of "eww you're hands are so sweaty!" (don't feel bad if you've said this to me once, my mother says this to me all the time) and quite a few times I have admittedly cried about having HH. I always have to tell people I have sweaty hands when they want to give me a high-5 or hold my hand, and awkwardly do a throw-pass movement when I hand things to people. I honestly feel like people wouldn't want to be with me because of my often sweaty hands. My paper has ripped a few times because it was wet, sweat would drip down my arm when I'm on my phone and my hands would get all swollen and numb whenever the moisture gets somewhat trapped in my skin (like how it is now).

It's obviously also a big issue in the pits and feet zone, but I can deal with that because people don't generally touch my pits and feet (LOL). However, sweat stains are inevitable, and some shirts like my my white uniform polos are taking a toll from the excessive sweat in the form of yucky stains. 

This post is for everyone, because everyone has insecurities. But you need to own up to these insecurities, and don't let it affect you. I'm trying really hard to accept my insecurity, but its honestly a very difficult thing to do. I'm still too afraid to do hand to hand contact, and I can't see a time (yet) where I wouldn't care. But I now have that mind set to be more confident and own up to my hyperhidrosis, and for me this post is the first step. I am admitting to the internet my biggest insecurity: I have really sweaty hands!

The only time insecurities matter, is when you let it take over your life. Embrace your insecurities; there is so much more that defines your life!

noun.
1. mother of C&L, and Peri the guinea pig
2. an art and makeup junkie with way too many things
3. a self-proclaimed donut lover

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All ideas, pictures, written work and opinions are all original contents of this blog unless specified and/or credited. Please let me know if you will be using any original content from this blog, and do let me know if I've published something that is yours. I'm just a normal gals and don't want to cause any havoc or complications, so if you have any questions or concerns please email me: millievalencia@gmail.com